Solar Subsidy in India Explained (2024)
To boost the usage of solar energy in the residential sector, India has a solar subsidy programme in place. It reduces the financial burden of installing solar panels, by providing financial assistance to consumers.
With this incentive, residential consumers can save up to 60% of their installation cost. Moreover, individuals from across the country can apply for these grants. But how much is the incentive and how can individuals claim it? Let’s understand it further.
How much is the Solar Subsidy in India?
The details are as follows:
- Solar energy systems with a capacity of up to 2 kW are eligible for a subsidy of up to ₹30,000/ kW.
- For a system capacity of 3kW, consumer can avail a subsidy of ₹78,000.
- For all system capacities exceeding 3kW, a fixed subsidy of ₹78,000 will be provided.
|Up to 2kW
The CFA is calculated based on either the module capacity or the inverter capacity, whichever is lower.
Apart from this, certain Indian states such as Jammu and Kerala also provide their own separate state solar subsidy in addition to the CFA to promote clean energy adoption.
However, as the government moves towards a uniform solar subsidy, there is limited clarity on how long such state-specific incentive schemes will be in place.
Note: This is the revised subsidy structure announced under the newly launched Surya Ghar Yojana. Consequently, this CFA is available to only those consumers who apply for rooftop solar after 13th February 2024.
For the individuals who submitted their application before 13th February 2024, the previous CFA structure (incentive of up to ₹18,000/kW) will be applicable.
Central Financial Assistance
At the end of 2022, the Indian government announced that it was implementing the Rooftop Solar Programme Phase II. Under the scheme, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) will provide Central Financial Assistance to residential consumers for installing rooftop solar systems (RTS).
The programme will be implemented by DISCOMs and respective state agencies. The best part about the CFA is that it offers direct benefit transfer (DBT), i.e. consumers will directly receive the incentive in their bank accounts.
Who is the CFA for?
Currently, CFA is available to residential consumers with a grid-connected solar plant. Moreover, group housing societies and RWAs of solar capacities up to 500kW can also avail the incentive.
MNRE has set certain stipulations that have to be met to avail the subsidy, which we will discuss in the coming sections. First, let’s break down the subsidy amount.
Cut Down Your Energy Cost by Almost 80%
With the introduction of the CFA, subsidy calculations have been largely simplified. Also, the incentive amount is equal for consumers from all states, except the northeastern states and certain union territories.
How to Apply for Solar Subsidy?
Recently, the government launched the National Portal for Rooftop Solar, to make the process for applying for solar much simpler. Now, a consumer from anywhere across India, can directly apply for a solar subsidy online, and track the entire process from application to the transfer of subsidy funds into the bank account.
To be eligible for the grant the following criteria have to be met:
- Ensure that their entire solar project is implemented through the national portal. The application to the technical feasibility check to installation- every stage must be undertaken based on the portal procedure.
- Consumers have to get their system installed through empaneled vendors (The list of state-wise registered vendors is available on the portal).
- Only domestically manufactured solar panels (both module and cells) can be used.
- Compliance with all MNRE guidelines and technical specifications is mandatory.
Steps to Avail the Subsidy
- Register and submit your application at www.pmsuryaghar.gov.in. No vendor or third party is allowed to do so on the beneficiary’s behalf.
- The DISCOM will conduct a technical feasibility study within the next 15 days.
- Once approved, you can install the system through registered vendors.
- After installation, you can apply for net metering and the request will be forwarded to the DISCOM.
- There will be an inspection of the plant and if all guidelines were met, a commissioning certificate will be issued.
- Once you submit your bank details in the portal, the funds will be credited to your account in 30 days.
How Can We Help?
If you are looking to install solar at your home, Ojas is the fastest and most reliable option. With just 4 hours of your time, 3 tools, and 2 people installation team, we will give you a solution that will generate free electricity for more than 25 years!
Ornate Solar is India’s leading solar company with 8 years of experience. By partnering with the best-in-class global solar brands, we bring the most reputed solar panels, inverters, and solar accessories to you and make your shift to solar cost-effective and easy.
We have also developed India’s first Integrated InRoof system- which turns solar panels into the roof and eliminates the need for sheet roofing.
We deliver across India.
For more information, please give us a call at 011 4353 6666.