North India’s Largest Floating Solar Plant

Highlights:

  • A 2 MWp floating solar project was commissioned by the Chandigarh administrator
  • Another 500 kWp solar project was opened at Dhanal Lake in the UT
  • The plants will cumulatively generate approx. 35 lakh units in an year

Mr. Banwarilal Purohit, Punjab’s governor and Chandigarh’s administrator inaugurated North India’s largest floating solar plant of 2000 kWp capacity on Monday, 23rd January 2023. The project, installed at Sector 39 Waterworks, was commissioned at an investment of ₹11.70 crore.

Mr. Purohit also inaugurated another 500 kWp floating solar plant installed along the fountains at Dhanas Lake, built at a cost of ₹3.34 crore.

The official statement says both projects were designed and executed by CREST (Chandigarh Renewable Energy and Science and Technology Promotion Society). Both the plants, which run at a module efficiency of 20%, will generate a minimum of 35 lakh units in one year.

The plant will save land resources and prevent water evaporation. “The water conserved resultantly can fulfil monthly water needs of 20,000 households in Chandigarh”, said Debendra Dalai, secretary of science and technology, Chandigarh.

Moreover, the cooling effect provided by the water will aid in boosting the generation of solar panels. 70% of the revenue from the floating solar plant at Sector 39 will be deposited into the government’s treasury. The remaining 30% will be provided to the municipal corporation of the UT.

The energy generated from the Dhanas Lake plant will power all buildings and offices under Chandigarh Forest Department.

The efforts of CREST were lauded by the administrators and other ministers for not just beautifying the lake and reservoir but also generating awareness about solar power. Further, the administrator also appealed to the public to install rooftop solar systems over their houses, shops, offices, factories, etc., and harness this clean energy resource.

CREST was recently awarded for being the best among union territories in solar power installations. The organization revealed two more unique canal-top solar projects that are under development.

Click Here for more updates ornatesolar.com

Resource: Hindustan Times

Final_Whatapp_Banner
canadian ad fl
solar edge ad fl